Welcome to the Manchester Camerata Blog

Manchester Camerata is one of the UK's leading Chamber Orchestras with concert series at The Bridgewater Hall in Manchester and at the Royal Northern College of Music - where we have a residency - but also regularly in Ulverston, Colne, Crewe and Stafford, and across the North West of England and Cumbria. We also have a vibrant education project with a special relationship with schools in Chester. Visit our main website at www.manchestercamerata.co.uk to read more about the orchestra and its plans and projects, for podcasts and vodcasts and to read news from the classical music world.



Sunday 31 October 2010

Getting into London Town

Camerata's Head of Development Charlotte Spencer blogs about her work and a recent trip made down to London to play an exclusive concert.

"One of the things I enjoy most about my job is meeting new people and introducing them to our wonderful orchestra, and I get to do this quite regularly. I have lots of meetings with people in their offices, where I tell them all about our brilliant musicians and learning projects, which of course is my job, but I always make sure I bring them along to one of our events so they get the full Camerata experience as soon as possible. I never tire of hearing people say “Wow – that was so different to what I was expecting; the orchestra is fantastic!” So, I was especially pleased to have nearly 50 new people say this to me and my colleagues at a special concert we organised in London.

Thanks to the generosity of music supporters, Bob and Elisabeth Boas, who gave us the use of their home for the evening, we were able to introduce Londoners to the orchestra, our amazing new leader Giovanni Guzzo, and Music Director-designate Gabor Takacs-Nagy, and show them what exciting music making is happening outside the capital city! In the beautiful surroundings of a Georgian-period drawing room, complete with columns and enormous fireplace (I had hoped Mr Darcy might appear as a guest!), we were treated to stunning performances of Debussy’s Danse sacree et danse profane, and Prelude a l’apres-midi d’un faune. We were then joined by Soprano, Jane Irwin, for Berlioz’s Nuits d’ete, which certainly chased away any thoughts of the chill winter evening outside. The orchestra and Gabor really deserved the rapturous applause they received, and have helped us make some new friends for the future."

Find out more about Supporting Manchester Camerata

Find out more about the Nicholas Boas Trust

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Don't hold back, let us know!