Welcome to the Manchester Camerata Blog

Manchester Camerata is one of the UK's leading Chamber Orchestras with concert series at The Bridgewater Hall in Manchester and at the Royal Northern College of Music - where we have a residency - but also regularly in Ulverston, Colne, Crewe and Stafford, and across the North West of England and Cumbria. We also have a vibrant education project with a special relationship with schools in Chester. Visit our main website at www.manchestercamerata.co.uk to read more about the orchestra and its plans and projects, for podcasts and vodcasts and to read news from the classical music world.



Tuesday 12 October 2010

White Rose in a Red Rose Garden

Kim Roberts has just joined Manchester Camerata as the Learning and Participation intern. Here she introduces herself. 

"During my time as a music student at Sheffield University I decided I wanted to work with an orchestra in their education department as I believe that involvement in music can be incredibly beneficial.

I volunteered at various community events run by Music in the Round and became a trainee music leader with Opera North, but after endless job applications found that I still needed to gain more work experience to get a job in this area. This is why Camerata’s learning and participation internship attracted me so much; it’s a great first step into a career in arts administration and I’m sure that at the end of my six month placement I will be in a much stronger position to apply for work.

I’m really enjoying the internship so far, it’s a great team to be part of. The work is quite varied: I am involved in contacting, scheduling and contracting schools for projects; contributing to planning meetings; and occasionally going out to events.

In the last few weeks we have been preparing for our Cameo Orchestra Play Day, which was a great success this weekend, and organising the Music by Numbers workshops which will be happening in over sixty schools across the North West between now and April.

I’m new to Manchester and am really enjoying the city, but do feel like a bit of a traitor being on this side of the Peaks as an honorary Yorkshire-woman!"

Manchester Camerata's Urban Symphony schools project

Read more about Camerata's Learning Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Don't hold back, let us know!